We were really fortunate in that we succeeded in securing funding for SHINE to continue.
The SHINE on Saturday programme at Marner provides 100 hours of additional and creative learning every year, designed to boost achievement levels.
The project runs for 20 Saturdays a year, working with 50 students.
What Saturday School aims to do
- It exists for students to achieve more and enhance their learning.
- It is designed to be distinctive from, but complementary to, the school week
- We have students and tutors (instead of pupils and teachers), with small classes of mixed ages and mixed abilities.
- We have older students to act a peer mentors from local Secondary Schools
- We have Queen Mary University undergraduates working as mentor volunteers.
- It emphasises excitement, enrichment and activity-based learning - each term has a main theme, supported by investigative learning in literacy, mathematics, science and technology
- It has an absolute commitment to raising expectations, attaining high standards and demonstrating improved performance
- To promote the development of the children in a safe, secure and happy environment.
Shine on Saturday has well established monitoring procedures to evaluate the impact of each project.
Expected outcomes include: High attendance; raised achievement in core academic subjects, increased confidence, improved attitudes to learning and higher aspirations.
Shine on Saturday is not just about helping students to pass their exams but to also foster a love of learning.
Meet the SHINE Team
Mr Nizam Miah
Ms Chloe Reader
Ms Rina Dias
Mr Michael Ibikunle
Ms Carol Doherty
Assistant Head / Project Manager
More SHINE Information...
Term Dates 2020
Saturday 10:00 - 15:00
Themes based around Science and Poetry - Animals and Nature/Science investigations in the lead up to Science week in March plus Cookery/Photography/Sports competitions cycling and climbing.
|Week 1||11th January||(No climbing)|
|Week 2||18th January||Climbing starts|
|Week 3||25th January||Climbing|
|Week 4||1st February||Climbing (Stebon to Marner for sports) PM|
|Week 5||8th February||Exotic animals visit AM|
|Week 6||29th February||Cycling and climbing - Marner to Stebon PM|
|Week 7||7th March||Climbing|
|Week 8||14th March||
Cycling and Stebon to Marner PM
|Weeks 9 & 10||21st March||Stubbers all day – Last SHINE|